Miss Mindee Vs. The World

Monday, February 23, 2009

The Ghost of Christmas Future...

I went to get my hair done a couple weeks ago. It had been 5+ months since the last visit to my hairstylist (which also happens to be my brother-in-law), and I was feeling rather unattractive. I decided I needed something bold to distract me from the stretch marks and such; something attractive I could focus on instead. We decided on a deep red; I'd had a similar color before and liked it a lot.
While Matt began to apply the color to my hair, he paused and said, "Look at that. I found a gray hair." I didn't believe him at first, but he had proof. There it was. Bold and proud. I gasped and pulled it out! I stared at is as I felt my youth slipping away. I imagined myself a ways down the road of life; all gray, bent over, and with even more stretch marks. I gasped again!
Peter walked back in the room about now and I raised my hand with the hair in it and said, "Look what you've done. You've given me my first gray hair!" (Okay, so it's probably really a gift from Annibelle, but I figured Peter needed just one so he wouldn't feel left out).
When we got home, after taking care of the baby, I taped that gray hair in my journal and wrote an entry; i'd neglected that little book far to long.
Finding that first, little gray hair was like having a visit from the ghost of Christmas future... in a nursing home. ...kind of puts things into perspective. There's a lot of life to live, and the clock is ticking! I think I'll go have a Reese's.

2 comments:

galtzo said...

I think I'll have a Reese's too!

"M" said...

Um, no can do. They're all mine!!! Wa ha!

Post a Comment